Minutes of Parish Council Meeting on 18 July 2018

Draft minutes of Parish Council Meeting held on Wednesday 18 July to be approved at Parish Council Meeting on Wednesday 12 September 2018.

Meeting held on Wednesday 18 July 2018 in Claxton Village Hall at 7.30pm

In attendance:  Mrs Pat Clare (Chair, presiding), Mrs Mary Button, Mr David Hamblin and Ms Sarah Kennedy (Councillors), Mrs Carla Petersen (Clerk).  Also attending:  7 Parishioners.

18.54   Approved absences – Mr Jason Cantrill.

18.55  Declarations of Interest – there were none.

18.56  Minutes of the meeting held on 16 May 2018
The minutes of the above meeting, which had been circulated beforehand and placed on the notice board and website, were approved and signed.

18.57  Parishioners’ Questions
The Chair gave thanks to Mr Mike Balmer in recognition of his sterling service.

One parishioner raised concerns about George Lane Roundabout and Claxton Corner.  Clerk to contact Barry Stone.

Dog fouling concerns were raised by one parishioner.  Agreed to put signs up reminding owners to clear up after their dogs.  The Clerk had already sourced some dog fouling signs via South Norfolk Council and will order 6 signs.  Claxton only has one dog bin by the Village Hall.   It was discussed whether having more dog bins might alleviate the problem however this would incur purchase costs and on-going emptying costs.  Agreed to put up the dog fouling signs and monitor the situation.

18.58   District and County Councillors
Both were absent.

18.59  Defibrillator
Councillor David Hamblin updated the meeting.  The defibrillator has been purchased and is ready for installation by an electrician.  David Hamblin and two parishioners put their names forward for training on using the defibrillator.

18.60   Hellington Corner
Concerns were raised about blocked vision and parking on the corner from Loddon direction.  An accident had reportedly occurred here just recently.  Clerk to contact Barry Stone.

18.61  WW1 Beacon lighting
Claxton has already signed up to this event which will be held on 11 November to commemorate 100 years since the end of WW1.  The Beacon lighting will be held at the Village Hall at 7.00pm with a small event prior to the lighting.  Further details to follow.

18.62  Peascod flooding
Chair had emailed estate manager however had not yet received a reply.  Highways believe there is a drain blocked on the estate side.  In winter it floods half way across the carriageway preventing residents from leaving their homes.  It is believed that 3 drains are full and the culvert is blocked.  Chair to action.

18.63  SAM2
Clerk had discussed the possibility of sharing a SAM2 with Langley with Hardley Parish Council who are in favour of a joint share.  They currently share with the parishes of Hempnall and Woodton. There is funding which could be applied for as a joint venture between Claxton and Langley with Hardley.  Agreed to apply for funding for SAM2 – deadline for applications is 7 December 2018.  Clerk had received information from PC Jim Squires regarding Community Speed Watch.  All agreed numbers would be too few to set up a successful Community Speed Watch group.

18.64   Clerk salary
The Clerk had made a request to Council for an amendment in her salary frequency from every two months to monthly.  Agreed to the amendment -starting from July 2018.

18.65   Planning
A new planning application had been received from South Norfolk Council ref 2018/1148.  Location:  Espere, The Street, Claxton, NR14 7AS.  Proposal:  Change use of first floor garage into residential apartment.  Application Type:  Full.  Consultation deadline:  7 August.  Council agreed upon no comment, not supported which the Clerk will register online with South Norfolk Council. A request was made for the Clerk to forward planning details to Mr Jason Cantrill.

18.66   Finance
A detailed financial statement had been made available to Councillors and parishioners alike, and Councillors had seen a complete list of proposed payments well in advance, so there were no surprises.

a) The bank balance at 18 July was £4,344.96. The Budget/Financial Report had been circulated separately.
b) Receipts – 1. £20 from South Norfolk Council for the village’s participation in the 2018 litter pick.
c) Grants – none.
d) Payments
Cheque   Payee                       Amount     Description
100382   Zurich Municipal      25.24     Laptop insurance 1/6/18 – 31/5/19
100383   M A Balmer               74.34      Postage, stationery & MS Office
100384   C J Petersen            205.97      Salary June & admin May & June

On a proposal from Pat Clare, seconded by David Hamblin, the schedule was approved for payment, and cheques signed.  A formal invoice from the EEAS for the defibrillator had now been received.

18.67   Report from Clerk
Liaised with outgoing Clerk to ensure smooth handover, completed process with Barclays Bank for Clerk to view bank accounts, started process for setting up on-line banking, set up new office equipment, installed new version of Microsoft Office, organised insurance for laptop, updated new contact details and email addresses, amended contact details on website based on Norfolk ALC recommendation (GDPR), received training from outgoing Clerk on website and computer, attended a few Community Cafes, contacted SNC regarding dog fouling, attended Town & Parish Clerk’s Consultation on 12 July and whilst there spoke to PC Jim Squires regarding speeding traffic in Claxton.

18.68   Correspondence
The Clerk tabled a list of correspondence which had been emailed or circulated to Councillors or received prior to the meeting.  Items included:

  • Norfolk ALC newsletters for June- July
  • Clerks and Councils Direct July issue
  • Temporary road closure – Folly Lane/The Street

18.69  Items for next Agenda
There were none.

The next meeting is on 12 September 2018

Dates of remaining meetings in 2018
Wednesday 14 November – Regular Parish Council Meeting

The meeting closed at 8.20pm.

This entry was posted in 2018 Minutes, Parish Council Minutes. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply